Dewey Vacation Rentals and Property Management has years of experience in opening, closing and maintaining rental properties in a resort area. Here are a few items we would like to pass onto other home owners in the area:
- Perform frequent site inspections of your home. By living near the shore, our homes are exposed to particularly salty air. The corrosive nature of salt water can shorten the life of your roof, railings, and seals around your windows. Performing periodic inspections can reveal problem areas before there is actually a problem.
- Do not neglect proper winterization techniques. If your beach home is your primary or secondary home, always complete the following tasks when the weather gets cold:
- Close the vents to your crawl space to trap heat and prevent pipes from freezing.
- If possible, turn off water to outside spigots and drain any water remaining in the pipes. It is also recommended that you wrap the spigot in a trash bag and tape closed. This will contain as much heat as possible preventing any damage to the hose bib or interior pipes.
- Make sure the thermostat’s lowest temperature is set at 55 degrees. It is good practice, even when away from the unit to make sure the thermostat is set to “heat” and maintains a warm enough environment to prevent frozen or burst pipes.
- For homeowners that will be away from their unit for a lengthy period, turning off the water supply to the whole house, draining the water from the lowest point (a down stairs sink, or outside faucet), and switching off the hot water heater is highly recommended.
- Get to know your neighbors and community. Knowing the people around your property and building relationships with them can foster a sense of protection for each other’s homes. Many planned unit developments have community watch groups that are dedicated to the safety and protection of their properties. Building a relationship with your neighbors can promote this mentality and keep your investment secure.
These recommended tasks can be difficult for owners of rental properties who may live hours away. Dewey Vacation Rentals and Property Management offers a wide range of services including site inspections, winterization and storm preparedness, and can help keep your home safe.
- Property Management
- Site Inspection
- Home Watch
- Maintenance Services